Sellers have been reaching out to me lately to ask about how they should prepare their homes for the market. If you’re looking to sell your home, today I’ll share a few of my tips to make sure the property is ready to be listed:
1. Find an experienced agent. Your agent should be able to give you a checklist of items they’d recommend that you address before you list your home.
2. Make repairs. After you have a list of all the repairs you’ve been putting off, go ahead and address them. That includes changing all the lightbulbs, putting toilet paper rolls on all the holders, making sure light switches are intact, and so on.
“There’s nothing worse than walking into a home and realizing it’s much smaller than you thought it was going to be.”
3. Declutter and depersonalize. Store away all the little knick-knacks you have sitting on the counters. If you can start packing and removing things, now is the time to do so. The more space the buyers can see in the house, the larger they’ll perceive it to be. Also, clear away personal photographs before you hold any showings so that the buyers are more able to imagine themselves living there.
4. Hire an agent or photographer with a 360° virtual camera. In today’s market, this is a necessity, not an option. I use a 360° Matterport camera, which I use to provide 360° virtual tours of every home I sell. Personally, I’m not a fan of professional photos with wide-angle lenses, which tend to oversell a property; there’s nothing worse than walking into a home and realizing it’s much smaller than you thought it was going to be. You need realistic, professional, and nice-looking photos to sell your home.
5. Boost your curb appeal. We’ll talk about curb appeal in full in our next blog post, so stay tuned!
If you’re in the market to sell your home and you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d love to interview for the job of helping you sell your home quickly and for top dollar. If I can’t help you personally, then I’ll connect you with an agent who can. Hope to hear from you soon!